Battle Royale expands again, with a new game with a fresh take, Apex Legends! You may remember Respawn Entertainment to be the developer of the hugely underrated but not very successful Titanfall series. Unfortunately it is rather difficult for a new studio to launch a new IP nowadays, especially in the FPS genre, Titanfall suffered due to being released between the next instalment of Call of Duty and Battlefield and lets face it what are the odds against those giants? Titanfall has been renowned for being massively underrated though with plenty of fans still to this date, Titanfall 2 is actually known for having one of the best FPS campaigns since CoD: Modern Warfare 2!
Respawn Entertainment are an elite studio that is actually made up of old employees from Infinity Ward that worked on the Modern Warfare series, they had a falling out with the company and decided to go their own way. Thank god they did! You may of heard over the past few days a new Battle Royale game released called Apex Legends, it is a game set in the Titanfall universe but does not include the signature Titans or Pilots themselves. Fans were worried this means they is no Titanfall 3 in the works but the head of Respawn himself have put those concerns to bed with the following tweet:
So where did Apex Legends come from?
Apex Legends was released the same day it was announced on Monday 4th February. Respawn stated they knew they would have people who doubted the game due to thinking Battle Royale is just a fad (its here to stay, going to have to get use to it) and decided they would just release the game the same day they announce it and let it do the talking. Personally, I think this was a fantastic marketing idea, the game had 1 million players within the first day! Its now well over 2 million players so clearly the plan worked. Majority of the games EA has Respawn working on are completely under wraps such as the new Star Wars game to be released this year/next year, its no wonder we didn’t hear about Apex Legends then. Rumours only started flying out a day or so before the actually reveal so hats off to Respawn for managing that.
So what is Apex Legends?
Apex Legends is a Battle Royale game that is set within the Titanfall universe. It is marketed as a mix between Fortnite and RS: Siege which is a rather interesting twist. So the game has a map about the size of Fornite’s (pictured below) and currently they are 8 ‘Legends’ you can choose to play as with each player picking one. They are squads of three and 20 squads on the map making it a 60 player game and trust me that’s enough! Respawn have said they will continue to work with the community to improve the game meaning they is a possiblity for Solo’s and Duo’s like other BR games. The RS: Siege influence in the game comes with the abilities each Legend has, much like Siege’s operators. They is a standard ability, a passive ability and an ultimate ability for each Legend, the weapons on the game are much like other BR games with some nice additions, the AR’s and SMG’s come with only 18 bullets per mag meaning finding an extended mag is essential to stand up in a fight. They are also very strong Shotguns, LMG’s and SR’s, not to mention some of those use energy ammo which eliminates shields pretty quickly.
Ultimately they is a lot of content in the game from day one and Respawn have set a clear road map showing when more Legends and weapons will be added. The game has been released very effectively considering it had no Beta to test servers, it has only had a few bugs and connection errors since release and Respawn were on it pretty much as soon as people reported them. All in all, other gaming developers could take notes from Respawn, an EA company with a good release of a game? Unheard of I know but hey, these are new times!
So what makes Apex Legends different?
So I am going to go through the different Legends and their abilities as they is yet to be a BR with this in depth character lore and difference but I want to talk about what is, in my opinion, the biggest welcomed addition to this game. I was massively impressed in how the game allows you to communicate to other players, so basically they is an option to ‘Ping’ messages about things to the other 2 players on your team. On PC you just press the scroll button on the mouse and on Xbox the RB button but this allows you to highlight pretty much anything to your team mates, found a level 2 body shield you don’t need? Ping it and your team will know where it is as its highlighted, they can even ping back to call dibs! It doesn’t stop there, see an enemy? Ping them. Think someones looted this place? Ping it. Found a weapon you don’t need? Ping it for a mate. Want to tell your team you’re doing in a certain direction? Ping it! This is such a great idea especially when you are playing with 2 other randoms and you’re not in party chat.
Another great idea I am a fan of in this game is the way players drop onto the map. Like all BR games you come in on a drop ship but can only see the map not the ship. 1 person is designated as the ‘Jumpmaster’ which basically means they choose when to jump and where you land, you all jump out in an arrow formation and drop in sync to the map. As you jump out the drop ship each squad has their own trail of colour coming our their jet packs make the sky a rainbow of different colours which I thought was really nice. You can use the Ping to communicate a suggestion to land and your team mates can ping back to say they agree. Don’t worry though you can break free of the formation to go your own way if you so please. Id strongly advise against it though, in this game everyone goes around the map in their squad, it does not take much to be able to be killed on this game so sticking as a squad is the only way to go.
So lets talk about these Legends- Below they are listed with their Tactical Ability, Passive Ability and Ultimate Ability.
Bangalore (Professional Soldier)
- Smoke Launcher (Does what it says on the tin, creates a smoke wall)
- Double Time (Taking fire while sprinting makes you move faster for a brief time)
- Rolling Thunder (Call in an artillery strike that slowly creeps across the landscape
Bloodhound (Technological Tracker)
- Eye of the Allfather (Briefly reveal hidden enemies, traps and clues throughout the structures in front of you)
- Tracker (See tracks left behind by your foes)
- Beast of the Hunt (Enhances your sense, allowing you to move faster and highlighting your prey)
Caustic (Toxic Trapper)
- Nox Gas Trap (Drop canisters that release deadly Nox gas when shot or triggered by enemies)
- Nox Vision (Allows you to see enemies through your gas)
- Nox Gas Grenade (Blankets a large area in Nox gas)
Gibraltar (Shielded Fortress)
- Dome of Protection (Throw a dome-shield that blocks attacks for 15 seconds)
- Gun Shield (Aiming down sights deploys a gun shield that blocks incoming fire)
- Defensive Bombardment (Call in a concentrated mortal strike on a marked position)
Lifeline (Combat Medic)
- D.O.C Heal Drone (Call your Drone of Compassion to automatically heal nearby teammates over time)
- Combat Medic (Revive knocked down teammates faster while protected by a shield wall. Healing items are used 25% faster)
- Care Package (Call in a drop pod full of high-quality defensive gear)
Mirage (Holographic Trickster)
- Psyche Out (Send out a holographic decoy to confuse the enemy)
- Encore! (Automatically drop a decoy and cloak for five second when knocked down)
- Vanishing Act (Deploy a team of decoys to distract enemies while you cloak)
Pathfinder (Forward Scout)
- Grappling Hook (Grapple to get out-of-reach places quickly)
- Insider Knowledge (Scan a survey beacon to reveal the ring’s next location)
- Zipline Gun (Create a zipline for everyone to use)
Wraith (Interdimensional Skirmisher & my fav!)
- Into the Void (Reposition quickly through the safety of void space, avoiding all damage)
- Voices from the Void (A voice warns you when danger approaches. As far as you can tell, it’s on your side)
- Dimensional Rift (Link two locations with portals for 60 seconds, allowing entire teams to use them)
So that’s all the legends currently in the game but as mentioned Respawn will be adding plenty more throughout its life. I seriously think this game could be a contender to stay on the BR scene for a long time, it is a very difficult but very rewarding game and I urge anyone who is debating trying it to give it a go! I mean it is free so no reason not to right? I really hope it gets an esports scene soon as well!
Let me know your comments on the game below, what you think could be improve, what you like about it and as always jump into our forums to chat about it some more with like minded people! Fight on Legends!