the_gingerback

New Nvidia Graphics cards

So Nvidia have released their new line of Graphics cards at Gamescon yesterday. I'm curious to see what people think?

Personally I think they spent far too much time trying to convince everyone that they NEED ray tracing and not enough time showing us exactly what it can do. All the game demos focused on peripheral graphics like shadows and reflections, passive things that we never really noticed before, I've never heard someone complain about games needing better shadows and reflections from metal and glass surfaces. Don't get me wrong, Its a major accomplishment and looks phenomenal but we still have no real sense of how these cards are going to perform.

They've even created a new scale for measuring RTX performance so it's actually not possible to see a true side by side comparison at the moment, yes the new cards outclass the previous models in their ability to ray trace, but thats because they were designed specifically for that, whereas previous cards just weren't.

I will not be pre ordering but will definitely be looking to redo my entire build next year as my current one is about 3 years old now and my GTX 1080, though still playing everything at highest, has already been giving me issues lately. I want to see true performance stats as well as what some top developers do with it before i'm willing to invest over $1000 for an RTX 2080 ti.

Anyone else feel differently?

Well the live stream was shit boring. Kept going back in and they were just talking about as you said, ray tracing.

Im also sceptical about if its worth the upgrade. Especially, from the 1080ti. 

We don't know if its worth it because we have no metrics to genuinely measure it on. It did for a lot of it feel like some weird University lecture on lighting and shadows. I kind of feel like he was trying really hard to convince everyone that he's super intelligent (which i'm sure he is) but there was a lot of distraction in the form of ray tracing and how amazing it is and not really any substance on the card itself and how much power it has. The demos themselves were rather underwhelming overall.

• Like 1

yeah.. need to wait for YouTubers to do bench marking tests :)